The Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (GBA) has been rapidly transforming into an innovation and technology powerhouse, drawing international attention as the hub of nurturing regionally and globally notable tech ventures and bringing companies to successful exits.
Being a cluster of 11 vibrant cities in an area that makes up one-eighth of China’s economy with the 86 million-person-strong consumer market, the GBA offers exciting opportunities to startups from around the world to expand and scale-up. Southeast Asia startups have been turning to Hong Kong as an important gateway to access this thriving ecosystem. The area, however, is not yet on the radar of Vietnam’s startup scene.
The webinar aims to shed light on the great potential of the GBA and how Vietnamese startups can leverage Hong Kong’s resources to fuel their expansion ambition to this market. It also discusses the challenges hindering Vietnamese startups to go to the GBA and how the ecosystem can help address and boost their going-global journey.
- Date & Time: Friday | 10 Dec 2021 | 14:00 – 16:25 (GMT +7)
- Language: English (plus Vietnamese interpretation)
- Format: Hybrid | Online (via Zoom) & Offline (@ Sunwah Innovation Center, 6F, Golden House, 90 Nguyen Huu Canh, Bình Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam)
14:00 – 14:20 | Welcome remarks
- Jesse Choi – Director, Sunwah Vietnam & CEO, Sunwah Innovations
- Leader of HCMC Department of Science & Technology
14:20 – 14:30 | Keynote speech 1: The tech investment landscape in Vietnam by Ms Vy Le, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Do Ventures
14:40 – 14:45 | Keynote speech 2: GBA’s startup ecosystem landscape by Mr Jason Choi – Director, Sunwah Group & Chairman, Sunwah Global Youth Innovation Center
14:45 – 14:55 | Keynote speech 3: Hong Kong as the springboard and gateway to the GBA by Mr Peter Mok – Head of GBA, HKSTP
14:55 – 15:45 | Panel Discussion “Challenges of go-to-GBA for Vietnamese startups and how the ecosystem can boost startups’ going global journey”
- Mr. Peter Mok, Head of GBA, HKSTP
- Mr. Tony Tung, Managing Director of Gobi Partners
- Mr. Linh Han, Founder & Managing Partner, VSV Capital
- Mr. Teddy Lui, Operations Director, Alibaba Entrepreneurs Fund
- Mr. Vincent Fan, Co-Founder & CSO, Zeek
- Host: Mr. Duc Dang, Head of Block71 Saigon
15:55 – 16:25 | Reserved Meetups with HKSTP for Startups
ONLY AT THIS EVENT:
10 selected startups will be invited to talk to HKSTP in 30 minutes at the end of the event. This is a unique opportunity for the startups to:
- Expose your solutions to HKSTP, the number-one driving force of Hong Kong’s technology and innovation growth;
- Get practical tips to raise funds from Hong Kong/GBA investors;
- Leave your contacts for potential lineup meetings with local investors and stakeholders who can help setup and scale your business in the region;
- Earn a chance to be nominated to TOP 100 of HKSTP’s Elevator Pitching Competition 2022 and pitch to international investors, corporates;
- Learn about the requirements and best path to apply for HKSTP programmes and opportunities to gain initial foothold in the GBA.
The Webinar is a part of Vietnam’s largest national technology, innovation, and startup festival TECHFEST and Ho Chi Minh City Week of Innovation, Startups & Entrepreneurship 2021 (TECHFEST – WHISE 2021).
About Sunwah Innovations
As the latest initiative of Sunwah Group, Sunwah Innovations undertakes the mission of building up a global platform fueling innovation economy by leveraging the Group’s international resources and connecting various components of the local startup ecosystem in every location where Sunwah runs businesses. Understanding the unique potential of innovation in finding new solutions to existing and emerging problems, Sunwah Innovation Center is established in different countries and regions to create a culture for innovation and creativity to thrive and incubate next generations of entrepreneurs and changemakers.
The Group also launched the Sunwah International Innovation Platform (SWIIP) as a sharing network for various stakeholders of startup ecosystems around the world to foster cross-border collaboration, facilitate greater information exchange, market exposure, connectivity, and access to programs.
Comprising Science Park, InnoCentre and Industrial Estates, HKSTP is a statutory body dedicated to building a vibrant innovation and technology ecosystem to connect stakeholders, nurture technology talents, facilitate collaboration, and catalyze innovations to deliver social and economic benefits to Hong Kong and the region.
Established in May 2001, HKSTP has been driving the development of Hong Kong into a regional hub for innovation and growth in several focused clusters including Biomedical Technology, Electronics, Green Technology, Information & Communications Technology, Material and Precision Engineering.
We support science and technology companies to nurture ideas, innovate and grow through our R&D facilities, infrastructure, market-led laboratories, and technical centers with professional support services. We also offer value added services and comprehensive incubation programmes for technology start-ups to accelerate their growth.
About TECHFEST – WHISE 2021
Themed as Embracing Innovation – Reshaping The Future, TECHFEST VIETNAM 2021 is the 7th edition of the national biggest festival for the startup community. More than 50 events will be held throughout the country from September to December on online platforms, promising to bring together both Vietnamese and international startups, support organizations, experts and investors in 16 technology fields.
Ho Chi Minh City Innovation, Startup and Entrepreneurship (WHISE) is the annual largest event of the city related to startups and innovation, launched by the Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee and the Ministry of Science and Technology. This year, Ho Chi Minh City will host TECHFEST and WHISE together, with the Ho Chi Minh City Department of Science and Technology as the main organizer of the entire event.
🌟 Website: https://swinno.com.vn/en/
🌟 Fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/sunwahinno